Hunting on Permanent Timber Production Zone land managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania
Many Tasmanians enjoy hunting, including on land managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania.
The following information is to assist people wanting to hunt on Permanent Timber Production Zone land (PTPZ) – formerly known as State Forest. Maps to assist you with hunting on PTPZ land can be downloaded from this site.
If you want to hunt on PTPZ land, you will need to:
- Hold a current firearms licence
- Appropriate permits from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE) (see link below) for the animals you wish to hunt.
- If applying for a new firearms/or renewing an existing licence an 'Authority to Shoot' can be obtained from any STT regional office at a cost of $11.00. This service is not available from the corporate head office in Hobart.
- Be aware that entry onto some areas of PTPZ land for hunting may be restricted due to forest management activities such as harvesting, conflicting site values (e.g. threatened species). This will be at the discretion of the relevant Regional Forest Manager.
- Be aware that no keys will be issued to access PTPZ land.
General Regulations Applicable to all Species
There are a number of regulations applicable to all species. The important ones are listed below.
- Hunting at night is prohibited. (Night means the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.)
- The use of baits, live decoys, traps, snares, spears, bows and arrows, explosives, poison, bird lime and chemical compounds is prohibited.
- Solid jacketed military ammunition is prohibited.
- Hunters must produce their current Firearms Licence to obtain a game licence unless they are exempt under the Firearms Act 1996 and the Wildlife (General) Regulations 2010
There are a number of areas where the road to PTPZ land is on private property controlled by private landowners – therefore STT do not have legal authority to give public access.
Big Den 2020
Big Den is a special area set aside for deer hunting and is managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania's North East Region under a Wildlife Management Plan.
Balloted access for the public is available during the deer season. Deer hunters should contact our Perth office on 6398 7000 or download the information pack and form below.