Hunting on Permanent Timber Production Zone land managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania
Many Tasmanians enjoy hunting, including on land managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania.
The following information is to assist people wanting to hunt on Permanent Timber Production Zone land (PTPZ) – formerly known as State Forest.
If you want to hunt on PTPZ land, you will need to:
- Hold a current firearms licence
- Appropriate permits from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE) (see link below) for the animals you wish to hunt.
- If applying for a new firearms/or renewing an existing licence a 'Permission to Shoot' can be obtained on our website at a cost of $11.00.
- Be aware that entry onto some areas of PTPZ land for hunting may be restricted due to forest management activities such as harvesting, conflicting site values (e.g. threatened species). This will be at the discretion of the relevant Regional Forest Manager.
- Be aware that no keys will be issued to access PTPZ land.
General Regulations Applicable to all Species
There are a number of regulations applicable to all species. The important ones are listed below.
- Hunting at night is prohibited, (night means the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise) unless you are the holder of a valid Crop Protection Permit for Permanent Timber Production Zone land.
- The use of baits, live decoys, traps, snares, spears, bows and arrows, explosives, poison, bird lime and chemical compounds is prohibited.
- Solid jacketed military ammunition is prohibited.
There are a number of areas where the road to PTPZ land is on private property controlled by private landowners – therefore STT do not have legal authority to give public access.
Big Den Ballot 2021
The Big Den Ballot is open from 30 October 2020 until the 27 November 2020 for entry into the 2021 Stag hunting season at Big Den.
Only hunters registered in the ballot will have access to the Second Antlerless season. In 2021 there will be a maximum of 44 hunters in any given ballot period, which may include up to 4 single hunter parties.
If you are interested in registering, please refer to the attachment below. Please fill out and post to 'Ballot Coordinator', Sustainable Timber Tasmania, 15960 Midlands Highway, Perth TAS 7300.
All ballot entries must be received by COB 27 November 2020.