Recreational Hunting Guidelines for Permanent Timber Production Zone land
Many Tasmanians enjoy hunting, including on land managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania.
The following information is to assist people wanting to hunt on Permanent Timber Production Zone land (PTPZ) – formerly known as State Forest.
If you want to hunt on PTPZ land, you will need to:
- Hold a current firearms licence;
- Appropriate permits from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE) (see link below) for what you wish to hunt;
- If applying for a new firearms/or renewing an existing licence a 'Permission to Shoot' can be obtained on our website at a cost of $11.00; and
- Be aware that no keys will be issued to access PTPZ land.
Recreational Hunting Areas on Permanent Timber Production Zone land
Sustainable Timber Tasmania restricts recreational hunting access to certain areas of PTPZ land. This enables Sustainable Timber Tasmania to manage safety around current and upcoming forest operations, leased areas and to manage environmental reserves. Sustainable Timber Tasmania does not permit recreational hunting activities across all PTPZ.
We have been working to make new maps to identify the areas available across PTPZ where recreational hunting for the public IS permitted. Therefore, recreational hunting is permitted ONLY in the purple areas highlighted on the hunting maps available below.
You can find all the current hunting maps below. We are continuing to make more recreational hunting maps which will be available on this page of our website in the future.
General Regulations Applicable to all Species
There are a number of regulations applicable to all species. The important ones are listed below.
- Hunting at night is prohibited, (night means the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise) unless you are the holder of a valid Crop Protection Permit for Permanent Timber Production Zone land.
- The use of baits, live decoys, traps, snares, spears, bows and arrows, explosives, poison, bird lime and chemical compounds is prohibited.
- Solid jacketed military ammunition is prohibited.
There are a number of areas where the road to PTPZ land is on private property controlled by private landowners – therefore STT do not have legal authority to give public access.