Sustainable Timber Tasmania uses chemicals in limited circumstances where it is essential to manage weeds and pests and to promote optimal tree growth.
There are two main type of uses:
- Insecticide application to prevent the severe defoliation of eucalypt plantations by insect pests; and
- Herbicide application for the control of weeds prior to tree planting or sowing.
All chemicals used by Sustainable Timber Tasmania are approved for use in Australia by the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicines Authority. The application of chemicals complies with all relevant Tasmanian Codes of Practice.
The use of insecticides is informed by an extensive monitoring program to detect and estimate potentially damaging insect population levels. Application of insecticides only occurs if insect population thresholds are exceeded and weather conditions are suitable.
Provided below is a list of the coupes that:
- Are being monitored for potential insect control this summer and therefore may have an insecticide application between Nov 2020 and Feb 2021; or
- Are expected to require a herbicide application in the next 6 months.
In addition, we have also listed coupes which had an insecticide application in 2019/20 to give an indication of the likely extent of chemical applications within coupes being monitored this summer.
Interactive Map Viewer
An interactive map is available on our website for stakeholders to use to assist in identifying coupes relative to their area of interest. Stakeholders can select the Chemical Application Summer 2020/21 options to view the locations of the listed coupes and zoom in on their area of interest.
Sustainable Timber Tasmania welcomes stakeholder input to inform our detailed operational planning and decision making. In particular, we would like to identify:
- Whether stakeholders have any specific concerns in relation to potential chemical applications on these coupes; and
- Any issues that will need to be considered in detailed planning and decision making related to chemical applications on these coupes.
Stakeholders are encouraged to contact the Engagement Team to register their interest in relation to these or any other coupes.
Stakeholders who identify themselves will be added to Sustainable Timber Tasmania’s stakeholder engagement database, have their input is considered, and kept informed of any Forest Operation Plans for chemical application of interest to them.
The Engagement Team can be contacted by:
Phone: 03 6169 2800
Mail: Engagement Team, GPO Box 207, Hobart, Tas, 7000
Herbicide Applications planned for 2020/21
Region - Coupe
North East - CE333C
North East - SF115C
South - AR054L
South - FN005F
South - FN005K
South - KD013B
Insecticide Applications completed in 2019/20
No Insecticide Applications were completed in 2019/20.
To view coupes that are being monitored for potential insect control in 2020/21 and therefore may have a chemical application between November 2020 and February 2021, please download the attachment pdf file below.
To easily view the location of these coupes, please use the Interactive Map Viewer. And select from the menu for Potential Chemical Application Summer 2020/21.