Sustainable Timber Tasmania uses chemicals in limited circumstances where it is essential to manage weeds and pests and promote optimal tree growth.
There are two main uses:
- Insecticide application to prevent severe defoliation of eucalypt plantations by insect pests; and
- Herbicide application for controlling weeds prior to tree planting or sowing.
All chemicals used by Sustainable Timber Tasmania are approved for use in Australia by the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicines Authority. The application of chemicals complies with relevant Tasmanian Codes of Practice.
The use of insecticides is informed by an extensive monitoring program to detect and estimate potentially damaging insect population levels. Application of insecticides only occurs if insect population thresholds are exceeded, and weather conditions are suitable.
Provided below is a list of the coupes that:
- Are being monitored for potential insect control this summer and therefore may require an insecticide application between November 2021 and February 2022; or
- Are expected to require a herbicide application in the next 6 months.
To give an indication of the likely extent of monitored coupes this summer, Sustainable Timber Tasmania has also listed coupes that had an insecticide application in 2020/21.
Interactive Map Viewer
An interactive map is available on our website for stakeholders to use to assist in identifying coupes relative to their area of interest. Stakeholders can select the Chemical Application Summer 2021/22 option to view the locations of the listed coupes and zoom in on their area of interest.
Sustainable Timber Tasmania welcomes stakeholder input to inform its detailed operational planning and decision making. In particular, Sustainable Timber Tasmania seeks to identify:
- Whether stakeholders have any specific concerns related to potential chemical applications on particular coupes; and
- Any issues that will need to be considered in detailed planning and decision making for these coupes.
Stakeholders are encouraged to contact Sustainable Timber Tasmania’s Engagement Team to register their interest in relation to these or any other coupes.
Stakeholders who identify themselves will be added to Sustainable Timber Tasmania’s stakeholder engagement database, have their feedback considered, and will be kept informed of any Forest Operation Plans for chemical application of interest to them.
Sustainable Timber Tasmania’s Engagement Team can be contacted by:
Phone: 03 6169 2800
Mail: Sustainable Timber Tasmania Engagement Team, GPO Box 207, Hobart, Tas, 7000